The Manor of Alexton

& Templars of Rothley


Ralph de Bakepuz
Theobold Neville
William le Blount
Roger de Lockington

Note: The 'label gules', the red bar with three tabs on the Roger de Lockington blazon is a 'cadency' mark. Cadency marks were available to "difference" the arms of a son from those of his father, and the arms of brothers from each other. On the death of his father, the eldest son would remove the label from his coat of arms and assume the unmodified arms. The cadency marks for 2nd and 3rd sons were crescent and mullet respectively.

Ref: All blazons St.Georges Roll

Domesday Book:

The Manor was valued at twenty shillings and was the property of the Countess Judith under whom it was held by Grimbald.

There was also a mill of sixteen pence value. The Soke of Rothley extended to six oxgangs and was described as waste.

The Leicestershire Survey 1124-29:

The land of Countess Judith was held by David, King of Scots, as Earl of Huntingdon and consisted of five carucates and one virgate of land. The King of England still held three virgates, equivalent to six oxgangs of Domesday, as of his royal manor of Rothley.

Robert Grimbald was hereditary possessor of the whole lordship early in the twelfth century; under him the larger manor was held by his sister's husband, Robert de Bakepuiz. Subsequently, Aeliza, daughter of Robert de Bakepuiz transferred all her land to her brother John de Bakepuiz to hold from her and her heirs for a yearly rent of one mark, for which John would aquit the land of all services which pertain to chief lord. Aeliza made the transfer with the assent of her uncle, Robert Grimbald and her son John.

The family of Bakepuiz thus became chief lords of Alexton, holding apparently the whole lordship except a small portion held by the Crown at Rothley. If they ever lived in Alexton they left in the time of Henry II (1154-1189) for Barton in Derbyshire, ten miles west of Derby, which became known as Barton Bakepuz and was their chief residence until 1375. The last male in line was William de Bakepuz, who died childless. The entire estate with most of the property was bought by Sir William Blount

From the time of the Bakepuiz departure to Barton, the family of Nevill held the lordship of Alexton under the house of Bakepuiz and the Crown fee of the Knights Templars, to whom Henry II had granted the Soke of Rothley.

There is a reference in the Feet of Fines for Leicester to a fine imposed on Nevill of Alexton, at Easter 1243, for failing to pay the master of the Knights Templars three shillings, as customs and services for the free tenement which he held of the master in Alexton.

Theobold Nevill died towards the end of 1316 and his next heir, his daughter Alice, aged about sixteen and already married to John de Hakelut, inherited the Manor of Alexton.

John de Hakelut thus succeeded to the Manor of Alexton in right of his wife.

John de Hakelut died on 28 January 1361-2. The inquisition post mortem returned 13 April1362, that he held no lands in chief in Leicestershire on the day of his death. He held the manor of Alexton of the prior of St. John of Jerusalem in England, as in right of his wife Alice Nevill who survived him.

William Haclut, son of John and Alice, age 26 years, was their next heir.

Sometime later, William Haclut, appeared to quit-claim his right in his mother's property in Alexton to her and her second husband John Wardedieu, who had leased it to Henry Wardedieu and John Courthorp.

William, who died on 1 October 1373 was found by inquisition taken at Alexton on 21 December following his death to hold his lands of William Bakepuz by knight service.

A further inquisition, at Hallaton, 22 February 1374-5 found that William Hakelut held a certain manor in Alexton of Sir William Bakepuz, chivaler, in chief by a service of sixpence, the manor being worth 60s yearly, and a plot with two granges and a virgate and a half of land held of the prior of the Hospitallers as of his manor of Rothley by service of three shillings; and that Sir John Mey of Loddington Kt, aged thirty and more, was William Hakelut's next heir of blood.

What happened to the manor is not clear. Whatever may have been the relationship of John Mey to William Hakelut, he must have parted with the manor, if he ever entered upon it very shortly afterwards; for at Easter 1377 it was conveyed by a fine by Edward Dalyngregge, chivaler and Elizabeth his wife, to William Gower, William of Loughborough, John of Bridgford and Richard of Oxenden.

Sir Edward Dalyngregge, well known as the founder of Bodiam Castle in Sussex, aquired Alexton by his marriage to Elizabeth,daughter and heiress of John Wardedieu. It thus appears from the order of 18 September 1371, the manor of Alexton passed to the heirs of John Wardedieu, the step-father of William Hakelut.

 


Note: The information contained above is a precis of a much larger document - "The Manors of Allexton, Appleby and Ashby Folville"   by George Farnham & A.Hamilton Thompson, simply to establish the connection between John Mey of Loddington and his relationship to the  families holding the Manor of Alexton. The full document can be downloaded from here in .pdf format.

The Manors of Allexton, Appleby and Ashby Folville.pdf


House of Knights Templars



PRECEPTORY OF ROTHLEY

The Knights Templars already possessed land at Rothley in 1203, when King John confirmed to them 5 librates of land there, given by John de Harecurt. A further 10 librates of land at Rothley were given to the Templars by John de Harecurt some years later, probably in 1218-19, but it is unlikely that a preceptory of the Order of the Temple was established at Rothley until Henry III, in 1231, granted the manor and advowson of Rothley to the Templars in free alms. The church of Rothley, a large parish with five dependent chapels, was appropriated in. 1240. A rental of c. 1250 gives the yearly revenue of Rothley Bailwick as £62. 10s. 5d., besides a rent of 5 marks from the Rothley mills. The revenue from Rothley was used to furnish a pittance for the Templars at Acre. Early in the 14th century the Templars had granges at Baggrave and Gaddesby, where they themselves carried on farming.

In 1308 Rothley was seized by the Crown, together with the Templars' other possessions in England. An inventory of the Templars' goods at Rothley, drawn up in 1309, mentions the hall and chapel of the preceptory, and lists the livestock, including more than 350 sheep and lambs, belonging to it. The preceptory of Rothley thus came to an end, though its lands were later transferred to the Hospitallers.

Preceptors of Rothley

Stephen of Todmershe.
John Feversham.
Walter of Ewenightewith.
William of Wald.
Alexander
blundus.
William of Colewell, occurs 1271.

No seal is known.

 


Source: “A History of the County of Leicestershire Vol 2” by W.G Hoskins and R.A McInley (1954)

British History Online